400 in ’15: #399: The Godfather: Part III

I’ve taken on the challenge of trying to watch 400 films in 2015. I will update this blog after each one and hopefully write a small blurb (NOT necessarily a review) about it. Come along for the journey, won’t you!?

Number: 399
Film: The Godfather: Part III
Released: 1990
Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Viewed previously?: No

GodfatherIII2

So, I decided I had to finish off the trilogy and popped this one in.

It’s the shortest of the bunch (but still clocks in at just under 3 fucking hours) but somehow FEELS like the longest. It drags like a mother fucker and that’s not a good sign.

It also feels like a mess of a film.

I think maybe because the huge time gap from the previous film to this one, something, perhaps some kind of “magic” was completely lost because this isn’t a great movie.

There’s something about the pope and the Vatican and two cousins fucking each other and an opera singer and Michael Corleone being a withered old fuck with diabetes and it’s all just so boring that it felt like a slog to get through.

Special mention has to go to Sofia Coppola, who turns in a TERRIBLE performance as Mary, the daughter. I didn’t know much about this one going in, except that her performance has been criticized by just about everyone in the world, and boy, they aren’t wrong. It’s as if she’s reading from cue cards 90% of the time and then just badly winging it the other 10% Truly bad.

Al Pacino is also in full “old man Pacino” mode by this point and while it’s kind of entertaining it also doesn’t really fit what the character is or was.

Big ol’ MEH to this one.

Leave a Comment